Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day 6 - Old Town of Zhu Jia Jian

Today we visited the old town of Zhu Jia Jian, an ancient water town, a.k.a Shanghai's Venice. We walked the village and took a boat ride through the canals. BoBo, our guide convinced us to have lunch at one of the local restuarants. (this one had only 4 tables and was nothing you could ever imagine eating at) BoBo assured us the food would be safe to eat. She ordered us beef, pork and rice. It was tasty, but I still couldn't get past 2 bites. Two local older ladies came in to ask us if they could sing to us for 10.00 yuan ($1.50 american dollars) They sang for us for about 3 minutes, it was sweet and funny at the same time.

As we were having lunch and discussing the unusal foods that Chinese people eat, she was saying that in the Cantonese province, people eat dogs, cats and rats. (holy crap!) (Excuse me while I bend over to pick up my jaw) !! I know I have heard this before, but somehow you just don't want to actually know that it is true. (It's true) I guess my face expression was saying many things, so she followed up by saying that they don't eat thier pets, these are farm raised dogs, cats and rats! (Oh, okay that was suppose to make me feel better!) Please! BoBo said the deadly virus SARS was originated from the locals eating rats. (I always thought it was a bird virus) (I'll have to look it up, now I am curious).

On our way out of the village, there were two older Chinese people, a man and a woman, beating each other with an umbrella. BoBo said they were probably husband and wife and having a little spat. (Why am I reporting this? Well, because China is known for the women not being as superior as thier man, so I thought it was good to see she was giving him a whipping right back.)

In the evening we went to an Acrobatic Show, it is said to be the best in the world, I must say it was incredible!

Tomorrow is a day of rest, nothing is scheduled, I couldn't be happier. I want to get some laundry done and prepare for Matthew's arrival on Monday.

Everything at home is going great. Katie is actually having a blast. Thank you to all those who are caring for my angel.





No comments:

Post a Comment